Saturday 4 March 2023

21 Questions With... Max Hazeldine

Name: Max Hazeldine

Age: 26

Games: 65

Goals: 18

Max Hazeldine

1. So Max, tell us about your footballing career to date.

Well, I've played and been to a few places... New York being the best. I mean New York is tremendous to be fair. Well worth the fine when I went there. Have I mentioned that I've been to New York?

Hahaha... sorry, just a little joke there. Now to the real 21 Qs...

1. First off all, congrats on winning POTM for February - well deserved. Would you say you've found your form again after an up and down previous 12 months? 

Thank you. Yes probably, it has been a tough year off the pitch for me so finding form and better performances is a step in the right direction. 


2. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you look sharper than I've seen you in a while - you seem to have shed some timber and seem 'at it again'. How hard can it be sometimes as a semi-professional to keep focused, especially with other things going on? 

How dare you! Only joking. It's hard, especially working on a building site it's easy just to eat chippy dinner every day. (Not anymore though DC has told me off too many times) 

3. We love you at Trafford and it seems to hold a special place for you too: what is it about it here exactly, especially after your agent (your old man) has mentioned there have been better offers in the past from other clubs? 

Yeah it's a great place, the fans are honestly mint, all the lads love them too. DC, Gibbo and Dorney obviously too. I probably wouldn't want to play under anyone else right now. 

4. I'll be honest, up until the start of this season, I thought you were older than you are. You're coming into your prime, right? 

I've upped my skincare routine now so hopefully I'll start looking younger for you. Maybe, I'm not sure, I feel about 40 though. 

5. It's been quite a difficult season as a team, December and January particularly so. How did the team get through those moments?

A lot of arguments in the changing rooms. Tough times at training, but DC/Gibbo/Jack never gave up on the lads and we've reaped the rewards for hard work. It was a very very tough time to be fair! 

6. You can clearly see the desire and togetherness of the lads with the performances throughout February, highlighted no more than the winning versus 1864 - how big a moment was that in terms of showing how close we are as a unit?

Sloaney actually got a first date on the back of that goal. We've always been a really close knit group I'd say, we're all mates and I think it was a mixture of being happy for Sloaney, getting what we deserved out of the game and relief.

7. Haha I've got to ask you to elaborate on how Sloany got a date on the back of his last second winner?

Mate I think he’s posted it all over Insta then took a girl out to bowling then McDonald’s because she thought he played in the prem but I don’t think she’s spoke to him again. 

8. I think we genuinely have 3 match winners in yourself, the Butcher and Burkey. How much does the competition push you to be even better? 

I'm not sure who the other two are (sarcasm? haha) but competition for places is always good, it does make you play better in fear of losing your shirt for the next game. 

9. In terms of support, I mentioned your agent earlier, but in all seriousness, your dad is at 99% of your games. How big of a factor/support has he been in your footballing life? 

He's brilliant, wouldn't be the same without him there and it is good to have your parents support you whatever the level of football. And I get a £5 a goal.

10. Some light-hearted Qs now: do you have a favourite away ground? 

Workington, don't ask why it's a weird one isn't it. 

11. A favourite game you've been involved in with Trafford?
 
I don't have a clue, I've got a head like a sieve. 
Manchester cup hattrick v Doylsden. 
Matty Barlow coming on at Workington and getting sent straight back off always makes my day when I think of that. Even though it wasn't good for the club/team haha. 

12. Worst and best trainer at the club? 

To be fair I'm probably the worst. 
Best, Matty Morgan 

13. You've mentioned DC, Gibbo and Dorney a couple of times - what is it about them/their ethos that appeals to you so much? 

I think they’ve got a good balance of having good fun and also knowing when to give you a proper telling off. Everyone seems to know where they stand with them. 

14. The YoT have been superb all season as supporters, is your full-time cuddle for them a permanent fixture now (presuming we win)?

They're unreal, the lads honestly buzz off it. Best in the league 100%. 
Definitely, it's a ritual now that. 

15. This is actually your 4th season with us, although a season was wiped out due to covid: how was it pretty much going a year without kicking a ball competitively during the lockdown period? 

Heaven. 
No joking it was nice and first for a break then your just itching to get back playing and training with the lads. 

15. Do you have any football/match day superstitions? 

Not really. I like to get changed from the bottom up if that counts. All the lads think it’s weird. Start with the trainers then work my way up. Then start with my socks, boots n work my way up getting ready hahaha. 

16. How driven are you by individual records? Whilst you are still a fair few away, Trafford's record goal scorer sits on 100 goals. Do you ever think of things like that, or do you take things as they come? (You're closer to the joint record of POTM wins by the way: 1 behind). 

No I never think of anything like that really, just play and hope we win. 

17. Outside of football, apart from grafting, you're also a big Manchester City fan and have taverns travelled to a few away grounds abroad; which is the best city/stadium you've visited on your travels? 

The Bernabeu 100%. What a ground. 

18. Who is a) your footballing idol and b) which famous player, past or present, is your game most like? 

Not too sure I have an idol but Kevin de Bruyne is a joke.
I’d probably say my game is quite similar to Messi. (sarcasm again? haha 👀) 

19. City to win the league and champs league or you to score the goal that wins Trafford promotion: which are you picking?
 
Come on that’s a bad question. City to win the league n champs league. Closely followed by the promotion winning goal. (If I told him Sleepy Lee would give him a big kiss for the Trafford promotion, I bet Max would soon change his mind)

20. As a player, what are your ambitions for yourself over the next few years? 

Stay fit and play for as long as I can hopefully at Trafford. 

21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 Qs with? 

Ollie ford, see what he has to say for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.