Sunday 14 June 2020

Exclusive Interview with Danny Caldecott - Trafford FC Manager!

EXCLUSIVE: Traffordfc.com in conjunction with the Supporter’s Club, bring you…

THE FIRST INTERVIEW WITH OUR NEW MANAGER – DANNY CALDECOTT!!!

Danny Caldecott - The new Trafford FC manager.

Danny – First of all, huge congratulations on becoming Trafford FC manager. Obviously the news of Tom leaving was a shock to supporters but we are 100% behind the decision to appoint you. How quickly did the offer come about and did you have to think twice?

Thank you that means a lot.

I can honestly say nobody was more shocked than myself. The Gaffer called me round for a meeting and told me of his decision to step down which completely knocked me for 6, but after being with him and listening to his reasons I knew he was clear in his mind and I fully respected his decision. I’ve been lucky to have worked with Tom now for 5 years, known him a lot longer but never had as close a relationship as we do now on & off the pitch. He is his own man and that is something I hugely admire about him. As discussions advanced it was clear what he wanted for me & that was to have an opportunity to be the manager at TFC. So before I continue I just want to thank the Gaffer for allowing me firstly an opportunity to play for this brilliant football club, but secondly & most importantly the chance to work with him for TFC as it’s turned out to be an amazing 5 years. Thank you mate!

After that it all happened on the same day – Tom resigned & I had a call from the Chairman with the offer to step up and be the manager. Before John could even finish his sentence I was repeating “yes, yes yes” in my head! So no, I didn’t think twice! I accepted the opportunity straight away and now I cannot wait to get started!

From a fans perspective, we can see continuity with you taking over from Tom. You'll obviously have your own ideas and be your own man, but would it be right to say you want to carry on the good work that Tom (and you) have done over the last few years?

Without a doubt, what the Gaffer has created with the help from the club, staff, players & most of all the supporters makes TFC such a special place. I am not for one minute saying the club has never been special but from when I first arrived to where we are now it feels like the whole club & community has moved forward together to each play their part in the current progress of TFC. My job is to try and build on that even more, keep the people happy and hopefully win some more silverware in the process.

In terms of your staff, have you thought about that yet in terms of an assistant and coaches etc? And what philosophy will a Trafford team under your management have?

I have already had conversations with all current staff members and I want to keep the current backroom team of Luke (as Number 2) Terry & Elli. I feel as a team we have only just got started. We are all relatively young, very hungry, hardworking, and aim to be the best we can be. As for philosophy, I will very much endeavour for the team to play with freedom, enjoyment and no fear. I want the lads to express themselves in whatever best form suits them in their given positions. All I demand is that when they walk onto that pitch they play for the shirt and give everything for everyone associated with TFC.

Lots of clubs are announcing signings and retentions on Twitter etc. When can we expect to see TFC doing the same? How far are you into contacting existing players and maybe sounding out new signings?

I see a lot of clubs announcing potential signings & good luck to them. From our perspective it’s difficult to announce anything at present due to the current climate. I think once we have a realistic date of returning & pre-season gets underway the club will look to make the necessary announcements. Early indications look positive from a lot of last season’s playing squad so we remain hopeful we can keep the majority of the group together. There will be a few moving to pastures new, as you always expect at this level, which is fine – They will go with a big thank you and the door firmly open in future. As for new signings, conversations are ongoing at very early stages, so for now we will have to sit tight and see how things unfold over the next few weeks. Announcing players is best delivered when we return properly as a club. Sorry for no immediate news, I know people would like to know where we are, but I can assure everyone that come the start of the new season, whenever that may be, TFC will have a group willing to give their all as we have over the last 5 years.

You came to Trafford in 2015 (Tom's first season) solely as a player. Obviously you were in the twilight of your playing days – was the goal always to become part of the coaching staff and did you always have ambitions to manage?

Very much so, everywhere I played as a player I always took on a leadership role. I feel it’s naturally in me, and from the beginning of my time at Ashton United I knew it was the route I wanted to take. Playing under different managers you learn all the time. I was always one to go away and think about the whole picture rather than the specifics of my performances. When I asked Tom for a trial (haha! Honestly, I did ask to come down & see how things went) I obviously didn’t have any idea how things would develop from there. The Gaffer saw something in me and everything seemed to naturally progress from the moment I joined his team. Even when he offered me the original position as player/coach I was honest with him and openly stated that my ambition then was to one day hopefully get an opportunity to be a manager.

And now you've achieved that ambition and the hard work starts! John Eadie wrote on Twitter that he had a great Chairman/Manager relationship with Tom. Do you see the same partnership developing with you and John? It's obviously one of the key things that helps the club be so well run and successful...?

I would like to think so, ever since coming to the club 5 years ago I have always got on great with John. He may say different in the early days due to my sense of humour in and around the place, haha! but I’ve always respected him. As time went on and my role developed in the management side of things, I observed just how well John & the gaffer bonded. It was crucial to the building of the club under Tom’s tenure and 100% I would love to replicate that. John is a very open and honest man, very similar to myself. I can only hope with these values it results in a long and successful relationship together.

Will you be registered as a player? Can we expect to see you putting in MotM performances reminiscent of the Manchester Cup Final against FC or are your playing days now officially over?

Haha I should hope not! That would mean the players we have aren’t quite good enough, if I’m selecting myself! No, all jokes aside I want to solely concentrate on managing now and my responsibilities towards TFC. I’ve had my time playing for Trafford and I am proud to have represented us, and many other great non-league clubs in Stalybridge, Ashton and Hyde to name a few, so I’m officially done.

Is there any chance of the Premier Cup Final being played? The season was abandoned and all results "expunged" but it's a shame that a one-off cup final gets scrapped. It could be a great opener to the new season, whenever it starts, and the chance to kick off your reign by playing for a trophy would be brilliant....! Has it been discussed at all?

It’s a great question and I echo what a brilliant idea it would be but unfortunately I have no information to give. I think the best man to speak to regarding this is Foxy. I presume it has just been written off, but I can take it up with Graham and see what communications he’s had from Manchester FA, see if he can suggest it to them.

When do you think you'll be able to start training? The FA are now allowing sessions where groups of 6 train together, socially distanced of course! Or is it too early just yet – wait for more relaxing of the rules?

We will start training when we have more of an idea of the leagues plans for the season to start. The last thing I want right now is for the players to start something with no idea of what the target date is, it simply isn’t fair. Elli has started to send the existing players some home routines to follow, but for now that is as far along as we are. I understand some clubs may view things differently but I’m trying to see things from a sensible perspective. I know how frustrating it is when you are working hard with no specific target date. At the minute that’s where we find ourselves.

Before we conclude, is there anything you want to say to the supporters going forward?

Firstly I would just like to say I appreciate all the messages and support I have had so far, it means a lot. Thank you. Secondly, please stay sensible, safe and in good health. We will need you all when we eventually get back to Shawe View and beyond! The way you have conducted yourselves & supported the team the last 5 years (and before) is admirable. Believe it or not it drives us all. Hopefully see you sometime soon when this crazy pandemic is safe for us to resume.

Final question – Would you prefer us to sing “Caldecott’s Trafford Army” or “D.C.’s Trafford Army” when we get back to it?!

Whatever you prefer, the support is all we need! How that comes I don’t mind at all!


DC (right) with his now assistant manager, Luke Gibson (left)


Cheers DC for agreeing to do this pretty much on day one in the job when there must be so much else to do! ALL supporters are right behind you Boss and we can’t wait to get back on it, supporting you and the team! COME ON TRAFFORD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.