Friday 16 August 2019

21 Questions With... Chris Palmer

Name: Chris Palmer
Age: 32
Trafford Appearances: 202
Trafford Goals: 11

Chris Palmer is a Trafford FC stalwart amassing over 200 appearances for the club over a 7 year period. A versatile player, Chris can play anywhere across the midfield or at full back. Having made his debut on the 18th August, 2012 away at Ossett Albion, Chris has been part of the promotion winning team of 2013, won the Manchester Cup in 2014 and the Integro Cup in 2019.



1. So Chris, another new season and with it, new expectations. How would you describe pre-season and what are your expectations for the coming season?

Pre season on the whole has been pretty good. Although we haven't won many games we have shown some really good performances which bodes well. As for the expectations for the season - its the same as every year which would be to get promotion, whether that be by the play offs or automatic. Another cup run along the way would be a bonus.


2. You've been at Trafford for a fair few years now (since 2012), you've seen a lot of changes at the club; how would you evaluate the 'then and now', particularly the support side of Trafford?

CP: In terms of numbers the support has gone up massively. Its great to see new faces, but also good to still be seeing the same guys from 7 years ago who might not necessarily be singing on the hill but still support the team every week. The club on the whole is very similar, its still full of good people which is what makes it a top club to be at.


3. You signed for Trafford from Irlam, another local side, how long had you been at Irlam and how did the move come about?

CP: I had been at Irlam from 16 which was 9 seasons. I had decided I was going to leave half way through my final season as i needed a change. I came to watch a game at Trafford and got talking to a friend who was trying to get me to go somewhere else but i said no and he said what about Trafford. By the time i had got home I had a message asking me to come down to pre season training.


4. The fact you've been at Trafford longer than most has made you an absolute favourite of the fans, as a result you have possibly the best song dedicated to you in your honour: what are your thoughts on the song - and which version do you prefer?

CP: The songs good, although I do get stick at work about people singing songs about me!! Clean version when there are kids around please!!


5. You do come across as such a lovely guy but is there a nasty side to you? You seem to be a particularly nice to Kate Green on Twitter?

CP: No there is no nasty side to me. I like a moan but that's about it. Kiel seems to find it funny about my Kate Green tweets, I don't know why but i suppose hes simple like that sometimes!! To be fair to Kate Green she is a good MP who has been kind to people I know.


6. Talking of which, were you happy in the end with the job the council did on trimming back your bush?

CP:They did a decent job eventually!! Moaning does work!!


7. Without sounding disrespectful, but I would describe you as a nuisance of a player, you're like a wasp you just can't shake off. How would you describe your game and which pro player would you compare yourself to?

CP: I would describe myself as an all round reliable player who can pass the ball. I'd like to say someone more stylish but probably James Milner.  


8. You're a fairly versatile footballer, what is your prefered position?

CP: I prefer playing centre midfield. Its the position I feel most comfortable in although I am more than comfortable in other positions.


9. What has been your biggest achievement/highlight of your time with Trafford?

CP: People would probably expect me to say the cup win last year or the play off win in 2013, but to be honest i would say the premier cup win against Hyde in 2014 only for the fact that i started that game and played well so I felt like I contributed more towards it. We finished 10th that year in the premier division as well which I think was a massive achievement.


10. If you could bring back any ex-Trafford player (that you've played with), who would it be and why?

CP: There have been a lot of really good players since I joined but the one I would pick would be Martyn Andrews. He was a good all round player but he was a very good leader as well. I felt he got the best out of players around him which is one of the reasons I felt we did so well at that time. It didn't matter who you were, if you weren't doing something u were supposed to, he would tell you.


11. You currently have 3 player of the month awards, the record is 4 (Burnsy, Shelton Payne and Rory Fallon). How much notice do the players take of things like that and how big a deal would be to beat the record?

CP: Its nice to get those kind of awards because it shows you are doing well and that the fans are appreciating what you are doing on the pitch. As for the record im not thinking too much about that.


CP: 12. What lies ahead after your playing days? Would you consider management or coaching?

I dont really have any aspirations about management or coaching. I've seen what goes into managing teams so I dont really see myself doing that, as for coaching you never know.


13. Who, out of the current squad would make the best gaffer?

CP: Sam Egerton would make the best manager. He speaks well in the changing room and has the respect from people to do it.


14. As always at the start of a new season, there are some new players in the squad. Who is the one player that you think could go on and impress the most?

CP: I think Grimmy could impress a few people as hes quick and goes past players. Bairdy is a dark horse as well, there are times in pre season when were doing running and you think that he will never be able to play footy, then you get him on the pitch and he looks so comfortable. Early days still though.


15. Schoey has finally managed to impress Tom enough to get signed up. How good is it to have a familiar face back in the dressing room?

CP: It is nice to have Schoey back AGAIN as weve known each other a long time now. Hopefully he lasts a bit longer this time!!!


16. Do you play any other sports other than football?

CP: I've played a bit of golf this year again which i enjoy. I started doing some triathlons a couple of years ago but had to stop because I got injured. I like most sports though.


17. Sporting hero?

CP: I dont really have any heroes to be honest. In football i'd probably say Messi would come closest. He is the GOAT by a long way for me.


18. Best ever Trafford away game in terms of support?

CP: Probably the Premier Cup final against FC United. The fact that a club like that were out supported by our fans on the night was incredible. Even though we lost!!


19. Best away ground you've played at?

CP: Widnes' ground last year was very impressive. The ground i enjoy playing at the most though is probably Curzon Ashton. The pitch there is always immaculate.


20. Who is the fittest player at the club; who won the bleep test basically?

CP: Joel won the bleep test, I think I was about 5th or so. I cant get near the young lads these days!


21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 Questions With?

CP: Sam Baird.


Cheers Chrissy P. A true legend of Trafford FC. Good luck to Chris and all the team for the coming season... we're right behind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.