Friday 19 April 2019

21 Questions With... Kelly O'Brien


Name: Kelly/Neil/Keil/Kiel O'Brien
Age: 26
Trafford Appearances: 81
Trafford Goals: 3

Keil is now in his 2nd year at Trafford, and whilst maybe things haven't gone to plan in the league for the club, Keil has been an ever present amongst an often changed back 4 or 5. Yet, he has still performed to a high standard, helping the club to 15 clean sheets, as well as putting in a superb performance in the League Cup final against Farsley.

Kelly O'Brien

1. I've got to start with the cup final: how good was it to finally hear the whistle, those extra 4 minutes felt like an hour? 
Immense! Proud to lift that trophy with all them lads... I asked the ref how long was left thinking he would say 3-4 mins, he said 25 minutes... felt my heart cramp up!

2. You were immense in the final... how many headers do you actually think you won?
Cheers. To be honest, I thought I was awful first half, I couldn’t pass to a white shirt. So second half I had to bring something to the table! 

3. For someone who is 8 foot 5, do you think you should be more of a threat up the other end?
Yeah I should be getting 5-10 goals a season - I'm not having much luck! I could of had a hat-trick against Droylsden! The gaffer sees that, so uses me as a diversion now - he thinks I’m daft haha

4. This has been your 2nd season at Trafford. How would you describe your time here?
Enjoyed it! Before I came to Trafford I was in oz, before that I had 2 or 3 clubs but I never really settled or found a place where I enjoyed my football. Since I’ve come to Trafford it’s felt right, the club, fans, players; everything is set for you to enjoy your football. 

5. A lot has changed in the last couple of months in terms of personnel; how did the players adapt to that?
Yeah, been some big changes, to be honest the lads in that dressing room are top boys, every new lad is welcome and took under someone’s wing, so to be fair it’s credit to all the boys! 

6. Last time we did this interview you were the newbie, now (after a lot of squad changes) you are one of the most experienced. How does that feel and has that affected your role within the team?
I know, crazy isn’t it... feels strange to be honest because I’ve always been the one looking around for that person in the dressing room when things are tough, and to be honest I’m only 26 so still relatively young in non-league, so I see over 30 to be classed as experienced (sorry 30 year old lads)... so I’m still relatively young 👍

7. Some other big things have been happening in your personal life too: you are about to become a dad and you recently got engaged. First off congrats on both accounts. How prepared for it all are you?
Yeah... about to have a baby boy in about 8 weeks - due on my birthday! Prepared!? I geniunely don’t think i'll ever be prepared, haha it’s going to be a fun journey! 

8. And which one scares you the most?
Michelle (engaged). At this moment she’s still giving me the silent treatment because I went out weekend and told her I'd be home for 6pm... I accidentally stayed out until midnight! 

9. Your a man that clearly takes pride in your appearance. I've also seen a picture of you in your teens... plucking your eyebrows makes a big difference right?
To be honest, I never touched my 'brows until I met Michelle... and when we first met the first thing she said was ‘If I’m to go out with you, I’m waxing that one eyebrow... it’s awful’ 


10. Now, I might be biased but I think Trafford is a special little club; as someone who has played for a few clubs, at all levels, how does Trafford compare? 
It’s a great club! It’s right up there! Proper family club: ran so professionally by the chairman, right through to the management. The pitch is quality, the fans get involved with players, lads have food together after training: it’s a class to be part of! Clubs I’ve played for in higher leagues are way off how well Trafford is ran. 

11. Away from Trafford for a minute, you're a big United fan; what are your views on what's going on there?
Needs a massive clear out of players... that’s all I want to say otherwise I’ll  take up poor Dave's programme.
  
12. Would you ever think about management after you finish playing?
Yeah, I would love to get into management. Think Sam Edgey as gaffer and me more as the right hand man would win you titles! Fergie/Mclaren

13. Talking of Sam (Eggerton), considering his injury, how good is it having him back and what does he offer that the others don't? 
Having him back is so important! What this lad brings to the team and the lads is massive; he's a very strong defender who could very easily be playing at a higher level, so to have him at Trafford shows what a great club it is! He's also the hard man of the team! 

14. The knee: how is holding up these days?
Touch wood, not had a real issue with it because the gaffer and Tom look after me well with when to train and not to train... relax Jake, sometimes you help too mate. 


15. You've actually started 40 games this season; a lot more than anyone else. How would you rate your own performance this season?
Overall, pretty pleased. Think I’ve had two or three awful performances that I can think of, but I think with the changes we’ve had this season, to still get around 14 clean sheets is not bad going! So 2 thirds out of 40 is not bad is it? (Until you tell me 10-15 games I’ve been awful haha)*


16. Personal aims/goals for next season and will having a family affect anything football wise?
Has to be promotion! I was brought to the club to get promotion and this year we’ve not quite got there so next year is huge! If we keep the core of these players, we’ve got a very good chance! 

 17. You bob around in a Ford Fiesta, you're a big lad and about to have a baby... is a bigger car on the agenda?
Haha... funny you should ask: I've just got a new one yesterday! So I won’t have to drive sat in the boot with the babies trolley on my lap.


18. Your dad has obviously followed your career closely; I don't think I've ever been to a game and he's not been there. Is it a big thing having that support?
Loves it doesn’t he! Yeah it’s huge! Nothing better than finishing football and having a pint, talking about the game with your old man! 


19. Talking of support, I've got to mention us, the fans; how much of an impact is it to have the vocal support? There might not be hundreds of us but we make a bit if noise. 
Massive impact seeing you guys and the young ultras coming rain or shine, even over to friendlies in the week is incredible! Absolute credit to you all! The young lads love it. Young Daz is always going about the place singing his own song... embarrassing, huh? 

 20. Are you coming to the supporters v supporters match on the 6th May?
110%. I just can’t wait to see Burkey come running out with full kit on, boots on and his bright orange rain coat ! 

21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 questions with? 
Tony Montana himself… Adam FAZ!

*I personally think you've played pretty well this season, and with or without the squad changes, think you'll be a strong contender for player of the season.

Cheers Keil, top man, and I look forward to next months 21 Questions with my best pal, Faz.

Glinks



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.