Wednesday 9 March 2022

21 Questions With... Matty Barlow

Name: Matty Barlow

Age: 21

Position: Forward

Games: 27

Goals: 6

Matty Barlow receiving his POTM award for February (there was more than just the one beer!) 

1. First of all congratulations on winning the POTM award for February - you must be pleased with your form of late? 

Yeah I feel I’ve been playing well and for that to be recognised by others is obviously pleasing.


2. You said you were going to have a stinker v Mossley after you found out you'd won; is that a superstition that runs through the team or is it just your own? 

It’s not superstition, it’s fact! Everyone knows the curse of the player of the month award. You're guaranteed a stinking game after it. 


3. I thought the team played very well against Mossley, especially the second half - a big 3 points. Do the players still think the playoffs are a possibility?

100% without a doubt. Everyone believes it! There is no pressure on us whatsoever unlike the teams at the top so we will just keep picking up points and see where it takes us. 


4. How big is it having Rob, Max and Alfie back for the remainder of the season?

Yeah it’s massive for us, they are big players in the team who also bring something to the dressing room. It’s also increased the competition for places which i think is a big thing as it makes training a lot more competitive. 


5. The semi-final result against Hyde was disappointing, however the attitude and performance was to be admired; what do you think we've been missing in recent weeks where results haven't always been what we've deserved? 

The lads gave it everything, we were gutted in the changing room afterwards. I think in recent weeks - bar maybe one or two - all the goals have come from our mistakes which is the most frustrating thing. We know that as a group we know we have to cut them out to get anything from the season. 


6. I've been following Trafford for 10 years now and the support has never been this good - it must give the players a bit of a buzz hearing the fans? (I ask this question every month but we like hearing good things about ourselves haha)?

Yeah the fans are quality. Even though sometimes I find myself singing along mid game, but yeah at times it’s definitely like a twelfth man for the lads. 


7. What was your footballing background before coming to Trafford?

I’m not like a lot of the lads who have come down from higher clubs, I was at Uppermill and Springhead who are local clubs but I was just enjoying footy and the crack on Saturdays. 


8. How did the move to us come about?

I went to Maine Road training a few times and I was planning on signing for them then DC rang me one day and asked me to come down, I had a few training sessions and a few matches then he said he wanted to sign me and here I am. 


9. Jack Sloan said you were one of the hardest players to mark in training - who would you say is the hardest defender/player in training? 

I’ll give it to my mate straight back - Sloany! Top lad, top defender, terrible in the final third. Also I will mention both the keepers, some of the saves they pull off in training is a joke and also really annoying. 


10. Best away ground you've ever played at in terms of set up/pitch/atmosphere?

Obviously I’ve not been around for very long at this level but last year against FC United, that was definitely something different but in terms of pitch - Trafford's has to be the best. 


11. The current squad seems like a tight-nit group, how important is that going forward and who has stepped up with the banter now Keil is resting up?  

The group we’ve got is class, it’s got a bit of everything. Obviously it’s important because you don’t want to let any of the lads down so it gives everyone a bit more of a push. Keil is definitely only resting up, he will be back! In his absence though all the lads have got a bit (of banter) to be fair, but the senior lads in the squad do try their best but I think us younger lads definitely give them a run for there money. 


12. With your footballing background, did you feel any pressure when you first arrived at Trafford, especially from some of the more senior and established players?

I didn’t see it as pressure I saw it more as an opportunity to test myself and if it wasn’t to be then it wasn’t to be. The senior and established players as you’d call them were all mint as they clearly know what it’s like to be a young lad in a new team but you soon realise you’ve just got to get stuck into it and get involved. 


13. Which team or player has been your toughest opponent so far this season?

I’d have to say Warrington Rylands. They were a decent side who we’re well organised but we still had our chances against them which just shows how close we are to being up there with the top teams. 


14. Who do you support yourself?

I’m an Oldham fan myself. I know it’s not great but it’s where I’m from and it beats being a trophy chaser like half the other lads. 


15. Growing up, who which footballer did you pretend to be in the playground?

Hahah probably Rooney (Wayne that is, not Adam) 


16. What would you say is your biggest attribute?

I’d like to think I’ve got a decent strike on me which Astley likes to take credit for whenever 1 from 100 goes in.


17. What's DC like to play for?

He has very good man management especially with the younger lads when he can see they’re struggling with form etc. He’s also very passionate which you can’t fault and he hates to lose just like anybody. 


18. If you could have one super hero power, what would you choose and why?

Hahaha if you’ve ever seen the film jumper it would definitely be that. That’d be class.


19. What do you get up to away from football?

I like to get out on Saturdays - especially after a win but also I don’t mind the odd chill night in with a takeaway. 


 20. One on one with the keeper; who are you guaranteeing will score and who would hands down miss out of the current squad?

Guaranteeing to score I’d have to say Max when he’s fit and hands down for missing is either Sloany or Higgy; they get serious nose bleeds when they cross that half way line. 


21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 Questions With?

Astley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.