Sunday 3 March 2024

21 Questions With... Mike Burke #2

Name: Mike Burke
Age: 26
Games: 96
Goals: 24


Mike Burke (Right) with a couple of Trafford supporters and Sean Higgins

















We first did 21 Qs with you back in 2021, after you'd only made 12 appearances. You are now on 94; 6 away from 100. Joining the 100 club would be quite an achievement - is it something you are aware/proud of?

Yes I'm definitely aware of it. Its not something I’ve achieved at a club so far (I don’t think). I’ve really enjoyed my time here so to get to a 100 would be definitely something I'll be proud of!

And how has your time at Trafford been; especially with recent changes with the management?

I’ve loved it. There has obviously been lots of ups and downs, which is expected. I’ve always been in and out of the team for one reason or another, which has been frustrating but I've never wanted to move elsewhere. I think that’s mainly down to the feeling around the club, the supporters volunteers etc that make it what it is. 

The group seems to have settled after many changes, but ins and outs, once Margy took over.  How would you describe the chemistry of the current squad? 

Yes, lots of changes. It definitely took a while for things to settle down. I’ve never gone through something like that as a player where there has been so many comings and goings. I think those who had been here under DC initially found it hard but the squad is a lot more settled now and I think that has shown in our performances. Well, most of them!

We've recently started doing fans' favourite five, and you've come up as a few of the fans' current favourite player. What do you think it is about your game/style that makes you as popular with supporters as you are? 

Honestly not too sure! I think I’ve scored some really big goals for the club in my time here and I can never hold back when celebrating so maybe its that! 

You originally said back in 2021 that you'd got your love for football back - hopefully you still have that love and desire, but what is it, from a players perspective that makes Trafford what it is?

I mentioned before about the supporters and volunteers. Since I've been here there’s always been a good relationship with the players and the supporters which makes it what it is. I think because of that, the results mean more to the players. Although there’s been a big turnover of players, its something Harry as captain, along with me, Rob, Higgy etc have tried to keep maintain within the group.

Let's talk about Clitheroe away - how big a game was that at the time, and can you describe the feeling of scoring the winner?

It was an amazing day. When I scored I didn’t over-celebrate, like I normally do. It was early in the game so I think that was why. It was such a solid performance from everyone so to come away with the 3 points was massive and the scenes after the game I'll always remember. 12 Wobert Worrall’s!!

Was that goal your best/ most important? If not, which is?

I think its up there. There’s never been so much build up and talk before a game so to score the winner in it was amazing. From a personal perspective I think Witton 1-0 last year was up there. I’d missed a sitter in the first half so to score the winner in that was massive, it kept our winning run going as well so yeah, between that and Clitheroe I'd say. 

You strike me as a player who just enjoys and wants to play, and I've your time you've played in a range of positions from no.9 to a no.10, from right/left winger/midfielder and even in CM. Where do you feel most confident/comfortable?

Honestly I don’t really know. I have really enjoyed being on the right but my best game under Margy was in the 10 so I really don’t know. I am happy to play anywhere and we have a lot of competition in the forward places now so I'm happy to be flexible and play wherever I'm needed!

If you could wake up tomorrow and immediately improve one part of your game, what would it be?

I’d probably say heading. Although I'm quite small (insert jokes), I’ve had quite a lot of headed chances that I can remember and I always mis-judge them I think. Its something I've never been good at so I’d say that.

You were back on the bench versus Newcastle after a short time out with an injury, how big could the remaining games of the season be and what are your (the teams) ambitions for it?

If I would have answered this before Nantwich maybe I'd have had a different answer haha! The management have always been looking upwards and to be honest I never really contemplated us going down. I think we just want to finish the season strong and see how high we can finish. This league is unpredictable, so if we can string a few results together then who knows where we will finish. On a personal note I just want to finish the season fit, get to 100 appearances and try and get a couple more goals, because my tally this year hasn’t been good enough!

And regardless of where we finish (but presuming/hoping we do stay up), how exciting is the future with Margy leading us from the start of a season?

Yes very exciting! Its a good atmosphere in the group now and that comes from Margy’s management style. I’m sure the majority of the group will be here next year and that will be important as everyone will feel a lot more settled within the club. I think the way we play football has certainly improved and its a lot more enjoyable. Hopefully with a full season under Margy we can push higher up the table!


Talking of Nantwich, that's our second 4-0 defeat on an artificial pitch. How different is it playing on those surfaces and how does it affect the players? 


I personally like them but they are different. I don’t know whether its just a coincidence that they’ve both been on astro. Don’t think the pitch had much to do with the goals we conceded in those games.Since we've got a very new dressing room, can you let us know: who is the worst trainer?Jordan (Fagbola), does his business at the weekend.Best trainer?

I’d say Tom Beckett.And the worst finisher?

Harry Norris, should have more goals than me this year!!Talking of training, Rob Worrall keeps telling me he has a lethal shot. Is this true, and why isn't he shooting more in games if so?

In training he scores worldies and for uni he has scored some worldies but soon as he puts on the Trafford shirt something changes haha.Favourite away ground you've played at?

Witton, nothing but good memories there.Least favourite away ground you've played at?

Widnes, not even closeFavourite takeaway?

Popolinos, give Hilal a call he’ll sort you out.What's being listened to on your Spotify at the minute?

My old college playlist which consists of a mix of everything really from Bieber and Adele to Drake and Aj Tracey.Who are you nominating for the next 21 Qs with? 


Harry Norris



Cheers Burkey, an absolute pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.