Thursday 21 April 2022

21 Questions With... Astley Mulholland

Name: Astley Mulholland

Age: 33

Position: Centre Midfield

Games: 54

Goals: 1


Trafford FC Captain Astley Mulholland

1. I know the end of the season has been disappointing for everyone involved, but as one of the more experienced players, can you see the overall picture considering the average age of the squad?

All in all, it’s been a good season in which we just fell short due to ourselves and no one else. We proved over the course of the season though what we can do and against some of the better teams in the league with some solid performances.


2. In all honesty, how good can this team become if the majority of them stay together? 

I think this team can achieve a lot and I’m not jus saying that because it’s Trafford - I genuinely believe it. I see what we do in training and in games this season; it’s really good. On the flip side, we've just been a bit naïve at times, as it’s a young group but with a full season now under some of their belts, they now know what to expect in this league.


3. How big a loss to the team/changing room have Keil and Rossy been?

It’s been massive in terms of know-how and experience. This will sound a bit cliché but experience is definitely key in any league mixed with youth. On top of that, I think not having Max (Hazeldine) fit aswell for a lot of the season has been a big loss - he's someone who knows the league etc and then Neildy moving to Rylands was a blow as he is a top player.


4. You yourself have had a marvellous career in non-league football: if you had to single out a high what would it be? 

Don’t know about marvellous haha... it’s been ok… a few highs but probably when I knuckled down, even though it was a bit late in my career, and got a move to Barrow from Colwyn ba at 29/30 years of age. I keep saying to the young lads - a good season in this league and you don’t know what can happen!


5. And footballing wise, your lowest moment?

Football wise - never really any lows so to speak.  Maybe when I was younger really: not getting a pro contract at Leeds united I'd probably say.


6. You suffered unbelievable heartbreak with the loss of your brother when you were a teenager, how much did that affect you in terms of your football (if at all) - did it ever drive you on?

No, it didn’t drive me on - it actually set me back massively! I lost a lot of love for the game for a few years but a friend, who is currently at Mossley and used to be here; Andrew Keogh, got me back playing and into non league and I’m forever thankful for that -  he’s a top lad and friend.


7. As a result, you have been campaigning for defibrillators to be available at all sporting venues. That campaign has picked up in recent years with one or two high profile incidents, can you actually believe this is even an issue you are still having to fight for this?

It’s like anything really, you don’t hear about these things happening day to day - people won’t take note… it takes for something like the Eriksen situation to open people's eyes and realise, but it's still hard to get it through to people though.


8. Going back to this season, how happy have you been with your own performances on the pitch?

On a personal level I think I’ve done reasonably well considering I’ve never really had a defensive role before. DC, Gibbo and Jack (Dorney) thought I would benefit from playing holding midfield this season to try and get on the ball more and have more influence in games and I’ve enjoyed it. They've probably saved me a few more years playing time haha... we will see about that anyway. 


9.How have you found that transition from being a forward to a centre midfielder?

To be fair, you only realise how hard it is to play a different position when you actually play it. In centre mid, you're always at it, on the move and you have to stay switched on - as a forward I sort of got a break from time to time!


10. As one of the 'old heads' and now the captain, how do you go about helping the many youngsters that we have?

I still class the big dog (keil) as the captain. It was unfortunate for him due to injuries etc… but yeah, I try help as much as possible. They are probably bored of me now shouting at them in games etc but I do chat to the young lads a lot; players like Higgy, Aiden, Sloany and Alfie… Higgy is always one to learn more - he will drop me texts from time to time.


11. You spent some time playing for FC United, who are known for their great support, whilst we don't have their numbers, how important is the support the fans at Trafford provide?

The fans have been unbelievable! You only have to look at the support both home and away this season, the crowds we have been getting etc... not only that, the times we haven’t performed towards the back end of the season and yet we've been clapped off the pitch when we haven’t really warranted it, is class! So from all the lads we can only say thank you for that.


12. Again having played for various clubs at various levels, you must have come up against some top quality players; who has been the best player you've come up against?

When I was a winger, I always had top tussles with a lad called Ashley Woods who used to be at Witton Albion I think. He was a left back and so quick and good on the ball so I always knew I was in for a tough game with him.


13. And the best you've played with?

There were a few when I was younger, at Leeds etc but don’t think that counts haha the likes of Fabian Delph, Danny Rose and Jonny Howson. But as I’m older, probably when I was at Barrow: John Rooney was a joke in terms of quality and attitude in both training and games.


14. What are your plans for next season - we'd love to see you still at Trafford?

Ermmm have to speak to the Gaffa about that one haha


15. You bring your little lad to Trafford most home games - has he started kicking a ball yet and is he better than his dad yet?

To be fair he loves it! I can only hope he can be better than me and I’d love nothing more than that - I think that’s the dream for most parents. 


16. How important is it that your family are involved in coming to watch games, especially at Trafford where we try and create a family atmosphere?

With it being a family atmosphere, I think it’s very important - it makes people feel comfortable. My dad has also been down a few games this season and my mum's husband - they also love coming!


17. You're a United fan yourself - what are your views on Erik Ten Hag being announced today - surely it can't get any worse?

Think you’ve just pointed it out in the question; it can’t get any worse so we will see what happens in the next season or two. Fingers crossed anyway!


18. Amongst Trafford's current squad, who is the worst: trainer?

This is an easssyyyy one: Maxxxxx Hazellldine crapppppppppp… Class player tho - love him!


19. Worst dressed?

Mike Burke - minging 


20. Most naturally talented?

Jack Dorney; guys a joke on the ball… Rob (Worrall) has got tekkarzlavania to be fair aswell.


21. Since you are the last of the season, I won't ask who you will nominate next so instead, what are your plans over pre-season?

Go on holiday and try and stay in some shape - can’t be coming back like I did after covid that’s for sure hahaha


Thank you very much, Astley. It's always a pleasure supporting you and the team! We look forward to celebrating on Saturday at the game and with the awards night after... and hopefully you'll be back in a Trafford shirt again next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.