Monday 20 December 2021

21 Questions With... Rooooooney

Name: Adam Rooney

Age: 24

Position: CB

Games: 18

Goals: 1

Adam Rooney

1. You've had a couple of spells with Trafford previously, mainly pre-seasons, but now you've managed to make yourself a key member of the team. What's been the main differences from then to now?

First time around it was clear from the start I wasn’t gonna get much of a chance with the previous manager as the club had 3 Centre Backs ahead of me. I then joined Droyslden and had a great season playing week in week out. But sadly cause of COVID the club folded. On that same day DC (The Gaffer) text me asking me to come down to training which I was grateful for as I only had a few options. It was clear from the start with him that I was gonna be given a chance of playing regular football and I’ve not looked back since💪🏻

2. The last home result v Leek was a big win - how important did it feel to the players?

It was massive and so good to get back to winning ways. Staying in that mix of teams fighting for the playoffs. that is the aim to be in that top 5.
3. And then you had the players night out after. I bet spirits were high... Any 'stories' from the night?

Yeah the lads were buzzing and we had a quality night. Some dodgy dance moves from some of the boys. I was mainly looking after Higgy as he isn’t always in the best state on nights out😂
4. Then onto Colne away Saturday just gone - the conditions were bizarre, it must've been difficult to play in? (I know I found it hard to see what was going on from the side-lines). 

It was challenging but once the ref said it’s good to play, you just have to adapt to it.
5. And the result was disappointing - I thought we controlled most parts without creating too much. How did you and the lads see the game?

It felt like we were in control for large parts of the game had a couple of clear cut chances that unfortunately we didn’t take. I felt like they didn’t cause us too many problems but sadly we gifted them the goal to win the game. 

6. How is confidence in the squad after a tricky November?

Off the back of the Leek win, the confidence was high. We know you can’t go through a whole season playing well - there will be dips in form/performances but it’s how we react as a team to address it and put things right.
7. Your old fella is clearly your biggest supporter - does he get a cut of your wages as your agent? 😁

Haha no he doesn’t get a penny. Couldn’t do it without him. We all know he isn’t all there but he always keeps me grounded/focused. He supports me and all the Trafford lads come rain or shine.
8. The fans have really taken to you this season - we appreciate your desire and attitude as well as your defending. How much does that mean to you as well?

It Means a lot. The fans make a big difference to me and the rest of the team. Can always hear you all throughout the game. Love my song as well from the fans -  it’s class. Needs to be sang more often haha.
9. Despite him always being injured, what's it like playing and training with someone like Keil, who is one of our more experienced players, let alone defenders?

Key is a great captain and a great lad. Always has time to chat to me whether that’s in training or the match on what I’ve done well and what I can do to improve. The rest of the time he’s doing a scouse accent in front of all the lads taking the mic out of me.
10. You are clearly a big Liverpool fan and Scouser born and bred - but does Trafford feel like a second home to you? What's it like playing for this club?

Massive Liverpool fan but actually born on The Wirral. I have lived in Wallasey all my life - my dad is the true scouser. Yes, Trafford defo feels like a 2nd home although my Manc accent isn’t the best but I'm defo picking up the slang.
11. Create the perfect footballer using Trafford players various attributes.

Left foot Connor Hughes, Right Foot Alfie Belcher, heading Key OB, shooting Max, Tackling Neildy, Composure Mike Burke, Control Astley, Skill Matty Barlow.
12: What do you consider your biggest attribute to the team?

Desire/Heart: Every game I play I always give everything on the pitch for 90 minutes to help Trafford/my teammates as much as I can.
13. What is the feeling amongst the group in terms of the current Covid situation; are there any concerns regarding the future and games getting called off?

I think we will be fine for the Christmas period/New Year then after that who knows. Just seems to be changing every day now. But we have to stay positive and ready for whatever happens.
14. You mentioned earlier that you were at Droylsden for a season, where you helped beat Trafford after not being kept on after pre-season. Was the win that little bit more special at the time as you wanted to prove a point?

Yeah, it was a special win - sorry to say that! For me there is nothing better than silencing the doubters/haters and in the game and I felt like I did that with the win & a clean sheet.
15. What are your plans for Christmas (apart from keeping a clean sheet on the 27th)

Spending time with the family & my girlfriend on Christmas Day. Boxing Day going the Liverpool game with the old man and seeing the rest of the family. Looking forward to the game on the 27th: always enjoy playing football around Christmas.

*at this point, I opened up the questioning to current Trafford FC Supporters' Club members - they are a unique lot and this is what they had to ask...
16. Who is your favourite all-time defender? Is there anyone you model yourself on?

Jamie Carragher. I Always use to watch him in games and id say that’s who I model myself on. Old school defender but when there is time to play I will mix it up.
17. What do you put in your hair - it seems to stay in place no matter how many times you head the ball?

Gel or wax. I got a bit of stick from the gaffer in the Market Drayton game when I scored. I was fixing my hair after the goal and a few other times during the game too... Told me at half time, 'your at Centre back not a model'.
18. Do you put your trousers on first or socks?

Socks first. Is that weird? Boxers and socks on first then pants/trousers*.

*I would say that that is the correct way. 
19. Would you rather fight a tiger sized rat or 10 rat sized tigers?

A bit random this question but probs 10 rat sized tigers as they are smaller.
20. Would you rather see Liverpool win the league title at Old Trafford or score the winning goal that wins Trafford a league title?

Got to be scoring the winning goal for Trafford to win a title. Defo an ambition/aim of mine is to be able to win league titles as a player. Been lucky enough to see Liverpool win the league so I’m sure winning the title at Old Trafford won’t be too long away👀
21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 Questions With?

I’ll let Andy Robbo aka Jack Sloan have a go👍🏻⚽️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.