Friday 15 October 2021

21 Questions With... Mike Burke

Name: Mike Burke

Age: 23

Trafford Appearances: 12

Trafford Goals: 3


Mike Burke

Mike Burke signed for Trafford in the summer of 2021. A forward who can play as a no.9 or no.10, he has settled in very well at Shawe View having previously played for Stalybridge Celtic, Staveley and Maine Road.


1. This is your first season at Trafford. How have things gone for you personally so far?

I’d say pretty well, with Max being injured in pre-season I got a good run of games which isn’t always the case when you join a new club. Scored a few goals but definitely could have got a few more but all in all, settled in very well.


2. And as a team: thoughts on the season so far?

Pleasantly surprised, although I wasn’t sure what to expect before pre season. However during pre season I started to get a feel that we had something good building so the start to the season wasn’t much of a shock after some if the results we had.

3. For those that don't know, where have you played before signing for Trafford and how did the move to us come about?

Started off at Maine Road, then moved to Staveley Miners Welfare whilst I was at university in Sheffield, where we were unlucky not to go up because of COVID. I then got a move to Stalybridge but it didn’t really turn out the way I would have hoped due to a few different things. The move came about through Morgy, played with him in junior football and at Maine Road with Connor, he asked me to come down and it went from there.
 
4. What were your expectations of the club before you arrived?

Not too sure what I expected really. I played at the Shawe View once for Maine Road and we got battered 4 or 5 nil, all I remember was the pitch being a carpet so its nice that that’s still true!

5. And now, has the club met your expectations?

Its exceeded any expectations I had. At Stalybridge last year and the previous year before that, it was hard to really enjoy football, but being at Trafford where there’s a real spirit between the players, fans and everyone at the club, its brought the love for football back and i’m happy to be here.

6. We have a lot of young players within the squad, yourself are only 23 - what's the camaraderie like amongst the group?

The camaraderie is great, like you say there’s a lot of young players but we have a bit of experience as well. But its more about the type of players we have not just the age, there’s no one with a big ego and everyone works together and I think that’s showed in 99% of our games from pre-season to now.

7. How would you describe the club to a budding young player who was thinking about signing for Trafford?

Its quite rare in football to get a dressing room where everyone is on the same page and not just there to pick up a wage. To have that at a club like Trafford that’s a community club and has a loyal fan base, it would be a great opportunity to see the best side of non league football.

8. Based on our start, what is the aim league-wise this season?

I think we’ve got to quietly go about our business as we have been doing but there’s no harm in aiming for the top. I think we know as a group that we are more than capable of achieving something this year and no team has really looked like dominating the league, in my opinion. So to not get play offs would be a big disappointment and anything above that is a bonus.

9. What's DC like to play for?

DC is a good gaffer, he understands that we’re a young side because he’s put us together. he gives us the freedom to play football and to make our own decisions, which as a striker is really important because you don’t think ‘I might get stick for having a shot here‘. So he trusts us, which is massive.

10. You've taken some slack for your dress sense - what do you have to say about that and who would you say has the worst get up?

Ha, its each to their own isn’t it. Everyone else might as well have been wearing the same thing when we went out so the fact I was a bit different attracted some jokes. Rather that than follow the crowd and take the simple option like the rest of them haha. But probably have to say Connor, lot of brands and big logo’s - that’s not me haha.

11. A lot has been made of the Trafford support; both home and away, how big a factor is that for the players?

The support has been class so far, its good to see, especially at away games like Leek on a Tuesday night in the rain. We definitely appreciate it and even enjoyed being a part of it last week for the Bootle game. I’ve never played at a club with such vocal support home and away so its been great to see!

12. Whose the most gifted player you've played with?

Most gifted players? Tough one but I’d probably have to go with 3 - all of which I’ve enjoyed having a connection with on the pitch. Firstly Rob Worrall - I played with him at university and then at Staveley for a bit, he just always knew where and when to put me in, never had to look at each-other.  Then Morgy (Matty Morgan) because I played with him for so long and he just makes it look effortless. Lastly, probably say Connor Hughes as well; at Maine Road I thought he was the best I’ve played with, still a lot more to come from him in a Trafford shirt I think! 

13. You mentioned you were at university in Sheffield, what were you studying?

I studied at Sheffield Hallam doing Sports Development with Coaching, loved every minute of it.

14. Footballers have a reputation for not being the cleverest: who would you pick to do well in a quiz and who would get every question wrong?

Not sure why put Id pick - probably Ross I think and then I would stay clear of Sloany and Matty B... dumb and dumber haha!

15. Who you support yourself?

Man City, through and through.

16. Favourite ever player?

Tough one, but if I had to pick one I’d probably say Carlos Tevez -he used to boss the line for us without much around him. But tough between him and Aguero.

17. Do you have any superstitions?

Not massively superstitious, don’t have anything that I’ve always done. However, if I play really well one week then I might try and have a similar routine pre-game like breakfast etc.

18. You're currently out injured, both yourself and Max joined the supporters in the stands last Saturday - and whilst we enjoyed your company we'd rather have you both back playing. How long before your in contention again?

I’m hoping that I’m not out for long. Its just a little groin strain - nothing too serious, but its a long season so if I have to miss 2 or 3 games to get back then I’d rather that than 7 or 8. 

19. When the fixtures are released, supporters look out for certain fixtures/away days. Do you have any particular team you enjoy playing or an away ground to visit?

I’ve never played in this league so most of the grounds are all new to me. Although if we got Goole away in a cup competition then I’d be looking forward to that as I’ve scored 5 in 2 there, but its far from the best ground so not much for the fans haha.

20. Outside of football, what do you get up to?

Outside of football, I don’t have much time really. I coach 1 to 1’s and small groups on a weekend but I do fancy myself as a bit of a chef so I enjoy cooking when I can. Like getting out to the Peak District which was right on my doorstep in Sheffield.

21. Who are nominating for the next 21 Questions With?

I’ll let Connor Hughes have a go as he’ll probably want to answer back to the worst dressed comment! 



A huge thanks to the best Burkey at Trafford, a great set of 21 Questions With... and all the best for the rest of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.