Saturday 31 October 2020

21 Questions With... Andy Smart

 Andy Smart is a bonafide Trafford FC legend - a member of the team that gained promotion to the Premier Division where we went on to finish 10th and win the Manchester Cup. Andy was also recently voted into the Trafford FC all-time XI. 


What was your football career prior to Trafford and how did you end up joining the club?

I was fortunate to play professionally for Macclesfield Town FC between 18 and 21 years old after working my way up through their centre of excellence from the age of 11. I moved into non-league when I was released and joined Stalybridge Celtic; I was there for 3 seasons then moved to Hyde for a season and then moved to Trafford. I joined Trafford as I knew a few of the lads in the squad and I wanted to start enjoying football again; I felt id had a poor season at Hyde and had lost my love of playing (although the lads at Hyde were great!). Tom Read had said about coming down to Trafford and I took up the offer!

You made your debut on 13th August v Durham City in a 4-3 win. What do you remember of that game?

Honestly not much! I just remember it being cold, wet and windy and it being on astroturf. Also the fact that it was bloody miles away!

Garry Vaughan is a Trafford Legend as a player and manager. What was he like to play for?

Vaughnie was great. Vaughnie and Goodie encouraged us to play football the right way, which meant as a full back I received loads of the ball and started a lot of the play. I was pushed forward and Vaughnie put me on all the set pieces-it was the dream! Not only this but he was/is a great bloke. I would have a laugh with him every time we met up for training or a game, which was mostly directed towards Gallers! Plus we all loved a beer, which for me when playing in non-league is a big factor-if you are together off the pitch you will do anything for your gaffer/team mates on the pitch.

It was definitely a close-knit group of players put together and in 2013, it all seemed to click – how good was that season?

Best season I’ve ever been part of. Id been involved with some top teams and played with some great lads. But that season it was different; looking back it was likely due to the fact as lads all our personalities seemed to match. We’d constantly take the piss out of each other (another big factor to success in my opinion) and would regularly go out as mates. When you have a bond like this off the pitch it transcends to success on the pitch. Ive got lifelong mates from this squad, which says it all really!

We were pretty much in the top 3 that whole season yet it got a bit close towards the end – were the play-offs ever in doubt?

All you can do as a team is keep winning and picking up results-as a player, even though this is a classic cliche, id only ever think of the ‘next game’. As long as a team you are playing well and picking up results the rest takes care of itself. That year we were playing well, really well in fact, and as confidence grows the game becomes easy. When you reach this point as a team anything is possible.

If anything, the achievements of the following season, finishing 10th in the Premier and winning the Manchester Cup were even better. How was it for you facing ‘better’ players and what were the main differences compared to Division 1?

I personally felt that season was the most successful in a Trafford shirt. To win the playoffs and then finish 10th in the league above with practically the same team was an amazing achievement. The main difference for me was if we made a mistake we were more likely to be punished-lads up front would have that little bit more quality in terms of their movement and finishing ability. Teams on the whole were more organised and more difficult to break down but a lot of them couldn’t handle the way we played and this is why we had success.

Obviously you achieved so much at Trafford but is there one game that sticks out for you personally as your best/favourite game?

I think my favourite game was the playoff final; I really enjoyed it and the win at the end on pens was incredible. To do it in their own backyard made it even more satisfying! My best game I feel was the Manchester Prem cup final-I felt I had a really good game and everything seemed to ‘click’. As a player at this level these games rarely happen so it stood out to me.

During your time at Trafford, you were involved in two major penalty shoot-outs – winning both as you stepped up each time. What do you remember as you walked up on both occasions? Your reaction to scoring your penalty v Hyde in the Manchester Cup Final is still one of my favourite memories – we had to go on and win after that haha

Not much to be honest and I don’t remember my celebration! I think the adrenaline kicks in and you just crack on. Pick a side and blast it. No need to complicate it!

*Click here to see highlights of the Manchester Cup Final (16:50 in for Smarty's pen)

As well as the ups – and there were plenty – the 2014/15 season must surely be a down. What are you views/memories of that season? What was the difference from the year before?

It was a tough season. Getting beat more times than winning takes its toll. I also felt refs were more lenient to other teams as we descended the table. I made my feelings about referees known during the games and for the most part I stand by what I said/shouted. I feel the main difference was the team needed some signings at the start of that season to rejuvenate the squad following two massive seasons prior. This would have helped galvanise the squad and allow us to maintain our position in the league. I completely appreciate the financial underpinnings of being in that league and the fact players would cost more in terms of wages; I just felt we needed a few players from that league for their experience to really help develop the squad we had. One of the best things was the fact the fans were still so supportive throughout; as a player this makes such a difference when the results aren’t going in the right direction.

You were one of the few from GV’s team that stuck around until the end of the season – it must’ve been a very strange dressing room to be in considering what had happened and the situation we were in. What was it like for you?

It was a difficult season for all of us. It was tough for me personally as I had never been relegated and from a purely selfish perspective you don’t want this on your CV as a player. However I loved the club and was still having a laugh so I wanted to stay and see the season out.

Gallers mentioned he was your best man when you got married – obviously you made some top, lasting friendships from football – who else do you still keep in touch with from Trafford?

Theres a few and it’s right motley crew. I still regularly speak to Martyn Andrews, Minnie, Joe Shaw, Flash, Oatsy, Sammy Halligan, Rubz and obviously Gallers. We regularly meet up for a few beers and have been on a few lads trips with them as well. I can’t divulge too much but it’s fair to say we have a right good go when we meet up! 

You were recently nominated and voted into Trafford FC’s All-Time XI – what did that mean to you to you?

It meant a a lot. I think it meant even more to my Mum and Dad-they were made up! It’s such a great club, with amazing people behind the scenes and brilliant fans, that to be named in its all time XI is an honour. Im very fortunate that enough people thought I was good enough!

What did you do after leaving Trafford and what are you up to these days?

I carried on playing for a couple of seasons and then stopped playing when I was 30. Ive not kicked a ball since! Im a physio for the NHS so this years been pretty hectic to say the least! I also do a bit of personal training and I am hopeful to compete in a natural bodybuilding (no steds!) in the next couple of years!

Have you been back to Shawe View to watch a game? There’s been talk of getting a lot of the old players down to a friendly game (once we’re allowed) – it’d be ace to see you down, reminiscing.

I've not actually, sorry! I have a pretty busy life and my weekends and evenings are for relaxing to help unwind from work. I think with the recent change in management Id be more inclined to come down and watch now as things didn’t end particularly well with the last management team. Lets just say they didn’t quite understand my humour!

It was clearly hugely enjoyable playing for Trafford, and the club has always had a great reputation for being well-run, and continues to do so. Did you find that to be the case?

Absolutely. It’s one of the best clubs I’ve been at; luckily the clubs I have been at have all been well run but Trafford sets itself apart as a ‘family club’. My Mum and Dad loved coming to watch and spending time with everyone at the club. It was a brilliant experience being part of the club whilst I was there! One of the best things was being able to chat to everyone after the game and both staff and fans showing their support-I think as players you have to reflect on these times as you don’t truly appreciate it at the time.

There are always talks of funny stories/eventful trips home from nights out or away trips - Any that you could share?

No comment

In your time at Trafford, who was the best player you played with?

I don’t think I could name a single player (politician answer); I feel the team I played in, when we gained promotion, each player had their own individual abilities which contributed to the team as a whole.

You chipped in with you fair share of goals for Trafford – even scoring direct from a corner once (I think against Salford City); do you have a favourite goal you scored?

I can’t really remember any of them! One I do was a free kick against Harrogate (I think)at home; I curled it round the inside of the wall into the keepers near side. The lads will crucify me for this smelly answer but f… it.

It might be obvious, but what was your best moment in football?

Ive got two-the playoff win and my pro debut at Nottingham forest at the City ground in the carling Cup where I set up a goal to beat them.

How do you look back now on your time at Trafford?

As an amazing experience where I have met mates for life. For me it was what football is all about-playing with your mates, playing football the right way and going out on the piss! I feel this side of things has been lost in recent years at all levels of football.

Who, out of the players you played with, would you like to see do a future ’21 Questions With’?

Minnie Mason. I struggle to sleep at times so I think it would be perfect pre bed reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.