Monday 12 November 2018

21 Questions Withh... Mark Derbyshire

Name: Mark Derbyshire
Age: 24
Trafford F.C. appearances: 102
Trafford F.C. Goals: 29
Trafford Debut: 11th January 2014 v Worksop Town

Mark Derbyshire is without doubt a fans favourite. 'He's one of our own' and 'Who need's Ronaldo...' are frequently chanted when he's playing (or warming up). He has been at Trafford for nearly 5 years now, and is currently a one-club player- we hope that continues.

Mark 'Daarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrboooooooooooooo' Derbyshire


1. You've been at Trafford since 2014. How did that come about and where were you playing before then?
Yeah its been a while; Trafford used to have a Sunday team so I was playing for them with a few local lads that I knew. The first team was short of players at the time due to injury so I ended up going down to train and it just went from there really.

2. You seem more confident as a player these days, both on the pitch and as part of the dressing room. Is that a fare assessment and what do you put it down to?I would agree with that, obviously the more you play the more you grow as a player and as a member of the team. When I first started playing for Trafford I would say that I was still a kid and I've grown up quite a lot since I started playing.

3. Who has helped develop your game over the last few years?
Without blowing his trumpet, Burnsey has helped my game over the past few years, I picked things up playing with Deano last year and working with Chris Shuker a few seasons ago helped massively. As a coach he's the best one I've worked with.
4. If you were to liken yourself to a professional footballer, who would it be?
Zizou 
(I presume he means Zidane... must be the bald head!!)
5. I've never seen you with hair. Can you grow your hair, if so what style would you have?
Nope. My hairline has gone so the bald head is here for life. But if I had hair it would be a simple 1 back and sides with a little trim on top. No messing around with stupid top knot or fades.

6. Did you play any other sports growing up, basketball surely?
Believe it or not I can't play basketball to save my life, I tried it at school but never liked it. I used to play cricket down at Flixton cricket club for several years when the football season finished. I used to be a handy batsmen - top score of 199*

7. Who is the best drinker at Trafford?
It used to be Paul Linwood but Kiel O'Brien can have the title now, I've never seen a man drink so many pints in one day.

8. And the most fun on a night out?
Theres a few to be fair. Once some of the lads get a few beers in the system there is no stopping them. Jack Dorney usually comes out with some good stuff on a night out.


9. Whose the best player you've played with at Trafford?
For a fat lad Liam Brownhill was technically very good.


10. You are a massive fans favourite and you play for your home town club. How important are those factors when you pull on the shirt?
Its always nice to know that people are supporting you when you play, being one of the local lads, its been a pleasure getting to know most of you over the years. I also have to take this opportunity to thank Malc (Malcy Rock 'n' Roll) for my song.

11. Ross Davidson did the floss after scoring on Saturday against Widnes. How much stick has he taken for that and do you have any moves lined up for when you next score?
The lads took appropriate action against him and he has subsequently been fined, hes a grown man and is five months behind the times as well. No I haven't got anything planned - I need to put one in the back of the net first but Burnsey is always on at me to get a celebration, so I just copy his daft one if i'm struggling.

12. Best/most important goal you've scored for Trafford?
My favourite goal is either the left peg against Tadcaster away a few seasons ago or the header against Ramsbottom last season.


13. Who has had the biggest players fine off Burnsy and what for?
A few of the lads didn't sing when they first joined because they're arses fell out so they got hit big and a few haven't turned up for nights out so they got hit with £50 fines 


14. How much are you looking forward to Portugal (even with some fans possibly gatecrashing haha)?
Massively, I cant wait to hear Keil calling the seagulls; it gets me everytime. If you lot are coming then you'll have to keep up with the lads and get in the gym. Some of the boys have a right go.

15. During the Manchester Derby, the commentator described City as artists and United as painters and decorators. How would you describe Trafford?
Is this the derby where City  didn't get out of 2nd gear and wiped the floor with united?

16. Who would win a race out of all the players and who'd come last?
I used to hold this title but Matty Bryan will win hands down; the man is quick. Slowest is probably Ben Harrison or Sam Heathcote - both not the quickest.

17. We're getting a decent reputation for our support, especially away from home. How big an impact does it have on the players and which game has our support stood out for you?
Yeah its massive for us, the last away day at Colne; the support was unreal but the last week of last season was the best that I've seen it. The fans turned up in their numbers Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday. I remember being stood with the fans after getting sent off against FC and hearing you all out sing them! I also remember the coach journey back from Colwyn Bay - all of you slightly worse for wears.

18. Any hidden talents?
Its not a good talent but I manage to bang my head on anything and everything. The lads know a good story.


19. Favourite sports person?
Lionel Messi - never seems to moan and performs week in week out. Would have loved to have seen him play his whole career with Pep as his manager.


20. Worse away ground?
Goole - Shithole

21. Who are you nominating for 21 Questions With...?
Matty Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.