Friday 19 October 2018

21 Questions With... Andy Langford

Name: Andy Langford
Age: 30
Trafford F.C. Appearances: 127
Trafford F.C. Goals: 6
Trafford Debut: 28th November 2015 (v Farsley away)

Andy Langford is Trafford F.C.'s Mr. Reliable. He can play in centre midfield or defence, where he played most of the 2017/18 season, winning the Manager's Player of the Season Award. Previous clubs include Morecombe, Fleetwood, Droylsden and Stalybridge Celtic.

Andy Langford
1. You're a hard man to get hold of... you don't get involved with social media. Why not and have you ever been tempted?
I've never been tempted. Means I can dodge people like you trying to question me ๐Ÿ˜‚ plus you can get yourself into a lot of trouble on there - I've known a few lads to be flapping on a Sunday morning. Not me though๐Ÿ‘€. Best to stay out the way.

2. You seem to be the quiet man about the place, does that role suit you - going about your business without all the attention?

Yeah generally I have always been quiet, it's best to go and do your job quietly. I think I sneak under the radar ,no need for shouting or screaming or silly knee slides - just do what I'm there to do... on and off the pitch.

3. You've personally been a favourite of mine since you arrived and I, along with others, were gutted when you left Trafford at the end of the season 16-17. You came back quite soon into the next season? What were your thoughts/reasons behind the moves?

The main reason I left was that I was offered a really good deal to go elsewhere and at the time I thought that would be the right decision, however 6 weeks into the new season I had realised it was the wrong decision in many ways... the gaffer and coaching staff here, the fans at the club and the lads - in fact everything about the club makes it a special and enjoyable place to play football and I think that is noticeable in the top quality players that have been attracted here.

4. Obviously the supporters were delighted to see you (and Burns) return. How good do you think last season went, both personally (picking up manager's POTY) and as a team?

Last season, when me and Burns came back the team seemed to be struggling. I don't think we had won a game which was surprising given some of the players we had in the squad but I think once the gaffer found a system that worked with the players, things turned around. For me personally I was just happy to be back enjoying it which I think showed in my performances and then to pick up the managers player of the year at the end of the season was great, especially considering some of the other players such as Sephton, Shents, Ally and Keil - they all had really good seasons. It would be good to see where we finished had we started the season like we finished it, but ultimately I think as a group we feel we didn't do ourselves justice in the play offs and are determined to go one better and get promotion this year.

5. And what can this team achieve this this season?

No doubt with the ability we have got in the squad we have to look at winning the league. We had a rocky start but seemed to have turned a corner and have the top few in our sights, there is no reason we can't win it.

6. We seem to have developed a knack of scoring quite late on. What do you put that down to?

The gaffer running our spuds off at every astro with in a couple of miles of his house.๐Ÿ˜‚. No... it's down to belief, most games this season we have dominated with the ball and been really defensively sound so we know as the game goes on we will get more and more chances and one of the lads up top will pull something out the bag for us.

7. You spent a lot of last season playing in the back three. Do you you have a preference as to where you'd rather play?

If I were to pick -  I like to play in the middle but I will play anywhere that I am needed or anywhere the gaffer asks, other than maybe left back -  I only played there once and was dragged after 27 minutes. I don't know if you have noticed but flying up and down the wing and running fast isn't a strong point of mine๐Ÿ˜‚.

8. What's been your biggest achievement in football?

Definitely promotion from conference to league 2. I was gutted not to be involved in the play off final at Wembley and I couldn't see past that for a long time but I was only 18 at the time so I can look back on it now with positivity... I played quite a lot more 1st team football than expected at that age that season.

9. And where would getting promotion with Trafford rank?

It would be massive for the club and for myself personally, it feels great to be promoted for any club but Trafford is where I was born and brought up so that would be great.

10. Outside of Trafford, what does Andy Langford get up to?

Now that we train 3 or 4 times a week๐Ÿ‘€... mainly work. If i'm not with my daughter you will probably find me looking after Darbo in champs.

11. Football team you support?

Everton... my dad supported them so naturally I wasn't allowed to support anybody else.

12. Other sports you follow?

None... not catching me watching cricket or the egg chasers. Only thing I watch is maybe the boxing and that'll be only i'm out with the lads.

13. Best sportsman/woman that has ever existed?

Zidane. Best player I have seen. Never looked flustered (other than the headbutt). Won everything he ever played in.

14. Best player you've played with?

Michael Twiss (ex Man United) had so much ability and was so strong. Seen him win games on his own many times.

15. And against?

Billy Sharp - played against him against Sheff Utd and we weren't too different in age but I got nowhere near him. We got beat 5-0 and he scored 4.

16. Do you have a favourite away ground?

No, not really, just like playing at home... I can think of plenty I don't like going too. Although last season I quite liked Tadcaster and South shields.

17. You seem a pretty cool customer... do you ever get flustered/stressed? (If so, what causes it)?

I don't see the point in getting flustered, on the pitch you will probably see me smiling and laughing more than stressing or shouting. The only person I do like giving stick to is the ref.

18. We had a song that only really works when you wear the number 4... any chance you can put dibs on that shirt please? (When selected obviously) haha

I always want to wear 4. For a start it's a large and the 8 is xl! Have a word with the gaffer - fits me better and goes with the song. Win win.

19. On a serious note, how big an influence is the crowd, especially in tight games?

Massive! When we are turning up to horrible grounds, of which there are many, on dark, cold Tuesday nights and there is a load of fans there cheering you on it's a massive boost. The songs and chants have even started making more of an appearance at home games this year, keep them going because on a serious not it does keep the lads going. Our fans are great whether we are winning 5-0 or losing 5-0! You are always in great voice.

20. Favourite game you've been involved in with Trafford?

I have a couple last year: Colwyn Bay part 2 was a great night. The draw pretty much confirmed us in play offs and the coach journey home was the best I have ever been on. Also the cup final we had a handful of fans there compared to FC United but you out sung them all night and the gaffer put a lot of faith in the younger lads that had got us to the final and they rewarded him by performing just as well as the fans.

21. Your nomination for the next 21 Questions With...?
It can only be one man - our kid... the BFG Darbo.

Thanks to Andy for (finally) answering the 21 questions. A top player and bloke. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Glinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.