Friday 7 September 2018

21 Questions With... Ally Brown

Name: Alastair Brown
Age: 30
Trafford FC Appearances: 132
Trafford FC Goals: 12
Debut for Trafford: 20th October, 2012 v Radcliffe Borough

Ally Brown is an experienced full back/wing back who is currently now in his second spell at Trafford, where he was part of the promotion winning side in 2013. Ally has also played for Chorley, Droylsden, Warrington (where he helped them gain promotion to the Evostik Premier) and Witton Albion. 


Ally Brown


1. Congratulations on winning the first supporters' POTM award of the season. What are your thoughts on your start to the season and that of the team?

I was pleased to have been recognised for my efforts in the last month. Our start has not been as strong as we would have hoped but we are only 4 games in and we are all working extremely hard to improve on our most recent results. I will of course be working on my individual game like every other player and with your support on a Saturday/Tuesday we want to give you all something to shout about

2. This is your second stint at Trafford. How do you think the club has changed/evolved  since your first time here (if it has at all)?

My 1st spell at the Club was 6 years ago now and I think the landscape of football has moved on so much; Manchester United lifted the Premier League, Sir Alex retired and that summer Gareth Bale signed for Real Madrid costing 91 million Euros (2nd biggest in transfer in history at the time). Now Manchester United are 4 mangers on, with no further league titles and Gareth's 91 Million Euro transfer sits 7th in the history behind the front runner Neymar, costing PSG 222 million euros. 
A little closer to home at Trafford I can see the impact of change for the better. May 4th 2014, Trafford needed a win to secure play-offs against Clitheroe, as you know we did (I scored) the attendance was 319. 6 years on and the scenario was the same, win and we achieve play-off. We won the game, with the attendance of 482 and for those of you who were at the game the atmosphere was fantastic. This increase in local support is vital to the club and as a player who has made over 130 appearances for the club, seeing you all come out in force away to Prescott was a really humbling experience for me, we took two coaches and many more!! The result was not what we wanted, that's football but you sang through to full time and beyond, there was a lot of emotion in that moment - thank you. 

3. What has been your biggest achievement/success to date in football?

I have always been proud to say that I represented my country, playing for Scotland U17 away in Malta. Over the years I have appreciated the simple things more: I've won leagues, cups and scored a handful of goals but I know so many that began football in the Academy system like I did, and no longer play; either due to injury, personal circumstances or they lose love for the game. All these years on from being released from a professional club I am very lucky to be feeling fit and loving what I do on a football pitch, it is some sacrifice from the age of 7.

4. And your biggest disappointment?

I try not to hold on to disappointments for too long especially in football. The key would be to limit those moments to as few as possible.

5. You've played all up and down the right hand side during your career; right back, right wing-back and right wing. Which position do you prefer to play?

I wouldn’t say I am a winger, never have been, I won’t beat 2 or 3 and fire a cross in. Wing back has become more popular over the years and I have enjoyed that in-between role, it’s so important to have good players around you who can play and support or you can become isolated. Full back is my trade, overlapping runs, linking up with an out and out winger causing the opposition real problems. Either role allows me to come onto the ball and meet it in final 3rd and be a threat.

6. Who is the best player you've ever come up against?

Over 13/14 years ago I came up against my team mate a good friend Aaron Burns who was in the Red of Manchester United. Being a full back I tend to come up against quick or skilful wingers who are looking to cause you problems. With experience and confidence you learn to adapt and that getting a yellow card is not always a bad thing.

7. And best player you've ever played with?

I’ve played with good players but I also play with good players currently and it’s these boys in the squad that excite me more. They are the present and future of the club.

8. Favourite non-league ground (other than Shawe View obviously)

I could probably name more least favourite grounds in non-league if I am honest. In my experiences with Trafford, New Mills ,play off, semi-final. Not a great ground, but we won, so what a ground it was that day, sun was out, fans were cheering and we won a really tight game, good memory.

10. Whatever happened to your match day breakfast tweets? We miss them!

Well I still have a match day breakfast you’ll be pleased to know; I just document everything so much online. Maybe we could start a, ‘Trafford Breakfast Cook Off’ – let see what everyone’s pre match breakfast is on a Saturday.

11. Talking of food/diet... How important do you think it is, even at this level, that you eat and train right?

This is one area I never really took to seriously; I have a fairly good metabolism and would eat a balanced diet so never worried too much about what I eat. It comes 2nd nature now that I prepare 24-36 hours before a game with the right food and hydration, food is fuel.

12. Who is the fittest player (in terms of stamina... ahem) at the club?

I am, although Ross won the Yo Yo test in the summer - I’d like to see him do a shift at wing back.

13. And the one who could do with some extra training?

Listen, we can all improve as individuals but it is as a collective; team, squad, club that helps to move us in the right direction. Over the last few seasons it has been pleasing to see some of the young lads improve: Shaun, Mason, Harry, Darius, Declan, Loz to name a few. A football dressing room is not an easy one as a young player, those of you that have played will know, respect is earned out on the pitch which these lads are proving. As supporters you only get to see the team for 90 minutes on a Saturday or less. I can tell you from training that every player is at a good standard, even those who don’t get as much game time; the manager has put together a great group.


 14. Imagine the scenario: We're in a penalty shoot-out to get promoted, which current Trafford player would you want taking the vital penalty?

Aaron Burns, no question. Does not miss, I’d back him every time – goal. His celebration needs a little work but I certainly don’t get tired of seeing it.

15. Linny seemed to be last seasons Mr. Funny... in his absence, who has taken over?

Lin’s still here, yes he is not a player but  it’s great to see him coming to the games,  supporting the club like you all do. In the dressing room, his shoes are hard to fill (or should I say, red sunglasses) Keil O’Brien gives it a good go #Portugal

16. How good a feeling was it scoring the winner against Prescot and when did you stop talking about it?

It was a good 10 minute period of the game, I won the penalty which Aaron obviously scored and then arrived at the right time for the cross, game done. I enjoyed the moment and the excitement that surrounded the day with it being Prescott and everything that had happened a few months earlier. But it was a win and 3 points, this has to become the norm.

17. Do you have a favourite goal you've scored... talk us through it?

For a full back I think I chip in with my fair share of goals but my all-time best came away at Chester while I was playing for Radcliffe Borough. A ball was played into my feet midway inside the Chester half, I was unusually narrow. I heard Mark Jones shouting hit one. I did, the shot arrowed past and away from the keeper, easily 30 yards. Anyone that wants to see the goal use the link:(4mins and 46 seconds in)

18. Favourite sport other than football?

I probably watch Formula 1 the most. I do play most sports when challenged, snowboarding was my latest.

19. Sporting hero?

Growing up in Scotland my local team was Airdrie but if I had to pick one of the big two it would be Rangers and at the time Ally McCoist was scoring a hat full. He was probably my first football idol.

20. You've only gone and got yourself in a scrap... Who at Trafford would you want with you?

This is very unlikely to happen but with these lads I know that whoever it is we will all look out for each other. That comes with playing over a couple of seasons and not something that can easily be created. I’ve also known Andy Langford since the age of 10 playing local football here in Urmston.

20. Ahead of our FA Cup fixture against Lancaster City, what are your thoughts on the game and our opponents?

I think we all remember our last visit to Lancaster where we put on a heroic performance in front of the travelling support. Tomorrow I'm positive there will be the same support and I think you will see a professional, organised performance from the team. We know what is required and where we can cause them problems. It’s been a while since the club had a strong showing in the FA Cup, let’s do it now.

21. And last, but not least... who are you nominating next for '21 Questions With...'?

Langy (Andrew Langford).

A huge thank you to Ally, a great set of answers. Good luck to him and the squad - not only for tomorrow against Lancaster - but for the rest of the season.

ALLEZALLEZALLEZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.