Friday 23 February 2018

20 Questions With... Grant Shenton.


Grant Shenton is an experienced goalkeeper who has previously played for Staylybridge Celtic and Ramsbottom United (where he holds the record for number of appearances). He contributed massively in helping Rammy gain two promotions. 2017/18 is his first season with Trafford where he has been a key member of the team, consistently performing to a high standard. 


Shents winning Trafford's POTM for Novemeber.


Andy Glinka asks the questions...

1) You spent a long time at Ramsbottom (playing 279 games) before eventually playing for Staylybridge, how did your move to Trafford come about? 
I had always enjoyed playing Trafford when I was at Rammy, with the gaffer showing a keen interest in bringing me in and with the ambitions of the club, it was an easy decision for me to make.

2) Since arriving, what are your opinions on the club?
The club is run very well and to a standard much higher than a lot of clubs at this level and above. Playing on the best pitch at this step and the step above is something I love about playing here. Hats off to Foxy and the gang.

3) "Let's talk about shents..." is a new song the supporters have come up with for you. What are your thoughts on the song and have you had any others made up in your honour?
It is by far the best song the fans sing in my opinion so thanks gents. I had one from a group of young Bury fans who used to watch Rammy midweek and they came up with SHENTON IS SUPERMAN! Belter.

4) Do you see yourself staying in football after you hang up your gloves? If So, in what capacity?
Any lads who have played with me will know I plan to get into management. I've wanted to be a manger for a few years now so I will 100% be getting into that after the gloves come off. That being said, I don’t want them hanging up for a very long time.

5) Favourite non league ground?
There are many I could think of but I loved playing at Edgeley Park (Stockport). It's crazy how that ground is in non league.

6) Best finisher in non league you've come up against?
Danny Rowe (currently at Fylde) hands down!

7) Best defender you've played with? 
Excluding the lads I play with now because they're all up there. I would say Danny Warrender... me and Linny were talking about him the other day saying how good he was.

8) Biggest influence on your game/career?
Not really had anybody that is a huge influence but Johnno and Bern maybe had the biggest impact bringing me to Rammy to play first team football when I was just 18 - that type of trust at a young age for a keeper is huge so I suppose maybe them two.

9) Favourite club (other than Trafford 😁)?
Always have an eye on Rammys results but I’m a Man Utd fan.

10) Favourite professional player of all time?
Buffon! We also have the same birthday.

11) Biggest/best moment in your career so far?
Two promotions. Wining the North West Counties probably edges it just because of how difficult it was winning that league.

12) Most skillfull player at the club?
Me or newbie Dom has a little bit.

13) Favourite drink?
A cup of Yorkshire tea with fresh whole milk. Gin if I’m out.

14) Best trainer at the club?
Me.

15) Worst dressed player at the club?
Darbo/ Palms

16) If you could guarantee only one of the following, which would it be: making the play offs or winning the Manchester Cup?
For me making the Play offs. That was the target at the start of the season and still is for us.

17) Do you have any footballing superstitions?
I have loads, just watch me before every kick off and after every goal we score.

18) Funniest player at the club?
Lin is a very bad man, stay very clear. Very funny man.

19) You've only gone and got yourself in a scrap, which Trafford player do you want by your side?
Scotty 100%!

20) Favourite sport other than football?
I'm pretty good at cricket, it just bores me to death. If it was only 20/20 I'd do it more.

Thanks to Grant for sparing his time and good luck for the rest of the season. Top lad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.