Thursday 18 January 2024

21 Questions With... Rob Worrall

Name: Rob Worrall

Age: 25

Games: 74

Goals: 2

Rob with his Man of the Match award after the away game at Witton this season.

First off all, happy new year from all of us at the supporters club.

Now, straight into it - there's been a lot of changes from the start of the season to now. Going back to when DC first announced he was leaving, what were your initial thoughts?

Happy New Year!

Initially I was quite surprised to be honest, it felt like it had come out of nowhere I didn’t have any idea. It is always a bit strange at first when a manager leaves especially when DC, Gibbo and Dorns had been at the club for so long, but it is the start of a new period and I wish them all the best.

And now under Margy, how are you finding it personally and what are the main differences?

Yeah, obviously the new gaffer has come in and I have really enjoyed it so far, personally I am playing a bit further forward compared to last season and I am really enjoying that, I feel like I have a bit more freedom in those positions to try and create. The main differences, I mean it is still early stages with the new gaffer, but he has got his ideas on how we want to play as a team and hopefully you as the fans can start to see that evolving on the pitch.

We've obviously gone from bottom of the league, without a win to 5 games unbeaten and out of the bottom 2, how confident are you in us progressing even further?

Yeah, very confident, like I mentioned it is always strange when a new manger comes in there is a lot of players who leave and a lot of new faces who arrive, and I feel now we have got a very good and stable group and hopefully we will continue this run and climb the table.

Like you said, with any new manager, there are always lots of players that come and go, but Lambo has been a huge player for us. How big an impact will him re-retiring have on the team and dressing room?

It will have a massive impact. Lambo was a great player for us, but he was also a great lad to have in the dressing room and his experience really helped especially when we were on a bit of a poor run.

I suppose it's an opportunity for others to step up: Harry Norris, the new goalkeeper, Fagbola and some of the new young lads have really stood out recently, but one player that seems to go unnoticed is Scott Kay - how important is his experience in the middle of the pitch?

It is huge, Scott is obviously a top player and has played at a higher level so the experience he brings has really helped the team, but it is also great for someone like me to play alongside him and learn. 

Obviously, you have been out injured recently, and as a result, you've watched a few of the games in the stands with us. What's it like watching as a fan?

To be honest it is a lot harder watching as a fan than being involved as a player. I get more nervous standing with you guys; I think it’s because I am not able to impact the result from the side.

I think it's safe to say that you are one of the fans' favourites, along with a few others. What does it mean to have the support of the fans and moments like Clitheroe away having 30-odd people singing your name after the game?

The support of the fans is brilliant, and us players all really appreciate it. It is one of the many things I love about this club and even when the results weren’t great at the start of the season you lot were always there cheering us on, home and away. The Clitheroe moment on a personal note was class, it is always nice when you have your own song, and it topped off a great away day for everyone involved.

You are currently on 3 POTM wins, just one behind the Trafford record of 4. How much notice do you take of things like that?

I didn’t know about that record until I saw it on the supporters page the other week. It is nice when you are picking up those awards and receiving recognition from the fans, it means I am doing something right, hopefully this year I can beat the record.

What's one area of your game you'd improve if you could with a flick of a switch?

Unfortunately, I am going to have to say two things. Firstly, I would love a bit more pace. Secondly, I need to add more goals to my game, my mates always hammer me and say I never shoot, you should see me in training though!

I am not even going to mention how many goals I have scored for Trafford; you can look that one up!*

Some quick-fire Qs:

Favourite food/takeaway?

Indian

Favourite team and player (professionally)?

I am a blue so City. Favourite player, David Silva.

Favourite band/solo artist?

Erm, at the minute I am listening to a lot of Little Simz.

Favourite away ground?

Got to be Clitheroe, I have a 100% record there.

Best game you've been involved in?

Probably Witton away this season: 4-0 win.

Best player you've played with?

Matty Cash, there’s a few from when I was at Forest I could’ve picked.

And against?

Yohan Cabaye - he was a joke!

So you were at Forest as a youngster, can you fill us in on your time as a footballer prior to now and what led you to Trafford?

I was at Leeds United from about 11 all the way through to about 16, but I didn’t get offered a scholarship there. I then went to Harrogate Town whilst doing my A-levels, and got spotted by Forest, I had a trail and then signed a 1-year pro. After my release I decided to go to university and ended up in Sheffield, whilst I was there, I played for a few clubs including Sheffield Fc, Brighouse, and Staveley

What led me to Trafford, well I’ve got Burkey to thank for that, we met at Uni and played together for both the Uni side and then at Staveley for a little bit before Covid. I then moved to Manchester, and he was at Trafford, so he asked DC if I could come down to training and it started from there really.

It must have been initially difficult leaving a professional set-up and then having to re-evaluate and move down the leagues - how was that for yourself?

Yeah, obviously when you are in it and feel like you have a chance it is always hard to take but to be honest it was one of the best things that happened, I went to Uni after that which was class and then found myself in non-league which I have found far more enjoyable.

I don't like going in on officials, they aren't professional and I'm sure they do their best, but how frustrating are decisions like the one we got against Mossley with the sending off? It was NEVER a red card, was it?

It is so frustrating like you said they are trying their best but that was never a red card and ultimately it absolutely killed the game, the lads did very well in the second half to come away with a draw, but I feel it would’ve been very different if it was 11 v 11.

Who have been your toughest opponents in the league so far this season?

I would have to say Prescott, obviously the result we had against them wasn’t great and it is always a very tough place to go. I feel like they mix their game up well, they’re very physical but they also try and play good football.

Who will you nominate next for 21 Qs?

My mate Burkey.

*or read the top of this post hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.