Thursday 29 September 2022

21 Questions With... Tom Bentham

Name: Tom Bentham

Age: 30

Games: 6

Goals: 7


Tom 'The Butcher' Bentham (left) with the match ball after his hat-trick against AFC Liverpool.
 


1. A superb start to your time at Trafford followed by a month of frustrations with being injured. How would you describe your first couple of months in a Trafford shirt?

It was a great start for me in August, getting 7 in 6 and I felt great, but it just sums football up that one minute you can feel unstoppable and then the next it has the ability to bring you crashing back down to earth with such a freak injury. 

2. And in terms of settling in with the squad and your surroundings, how have you found it?

I can’t speak highly enough of the squad and everyone around the club and how they have all welcomed me back to the club, it felt right in summer to come back and I’m so glad I did - it’s a great club with fantastic warm people throughout.
3. For those that don't know, can you give us a quick overview of your football career to date?

How long have we got… it started with Trafford 13 years ago and from there I've been to Maine Road, Nantwich, Hyde United, Stalybridge. I then went to Australia playing over there for 2 and half years and then to Atherton Cols where we won this league, Ashton United and back to the mighty Trafford!
4. You've just turned 30 - normally a bit of a milestone for a footballer. How do you feel fitness wise and how many years do you think you've got left in you?

You never think like this when your younger, but it is true; the older you get the more you have to look after yourself. I’ll keep going as long as I can.
5. What are your goals for the season: both individually and collectively as a team?

We need to finish as high as we can and personally, I always set for 20s (goal wise) every season.
6. What are your impressions of Trafford now compared to when you were here at the start of your career? 

From 13 years ago to now, it’s not changed much; same people still, all brilliant and committed, warm and a family club... hand on heart, I’ve never heard anyone speak bad of this club in all my time in non-league. 
7. You've recently become a dad, was that your first child and how have you settled into fatherhood?

Yes, it’s my first child (little Eddie) it's class - I’m loving it; it’s everything and more. Simple as that. 
8. We've touched on the injury which has kept you out for all of September but when do you think you'll be back playing and does having missed a few games create a determination to do even better when you're back?

Honestly this is one of the most frustrating injuries I’ve had. To add to it, it was my own teammate who did it to me. I’ll be back soon thugho and wanting to fight for my place again. 
9. We've suffered with a few big injuries/absences what with yourself, Coops, Max, Glenn, Alfie... Is it a case of what could've been in terms of both the cups and some of the other results we've had?

No, I don’t think so. We have a squad and we all back each other and are behind one another... injuries are just part of it. But sometimes you can be a little unlucky with the number of injuries and obviously it’s not helped us.
10. In terms of the group, who is the: joker of the pack?

Joker is probably Jack Dorney; his one liners just kill people off - don’t give him any ammo. 
11. Worst dressed?

Worst dressed... I put this question in the group chat and Burkey got the nod - sorry mate
12. Most fined?

Most fines... defo Fleming - he’s on about £190 already haha 
I’ve never known a man like Coops with the fines - he’s on it so you can’t get away with anything.
13. Talking of fines, one of the Kidsgrove lads mentioned that a player gets fined every time they get a haircut. What the funniest/most ridiculous fine you've heard of? And how strict is Coops with the fines at Trafford?

Funniest fine is again Fleming; he was giving it the big one when he drove to Workington away because the rest of us had to wait behind for the coach but obviously, he could get off straight way - only for his cars cambelt to go on the way home and we drove past him! He got fined for that!

14. You mentioned you played out in Australia for a couple of years; what was that experience like and what in the end made you come back to England?

Living abroad was amazing and was the best thing I did in my early 20s; it was just time to come home as I got a job in Scotland, and I loved it there too.
15. You've played fora few teams previously, what's the best ground you've played at? (Other than Trafford obviously haha)

I’ve always had joy Chorley and scored every time I’ve played there over the years - but the best ground I've played at is Villa Park - it was huge!! 
16. Best defender you've ever come against?

There’s been one defender over the years I’ve never gotten the better of, he’s soooo strong... and that’s Carl Pierginani. 
17. When we played Glossop away, you found yourself on the bench helping DC out (because you were injured), do you have any plans to get into coaching/management once you've hung up the boots?

I do plan on doing my next badges after finishing playing, but more on youth development I think rather than management, but you can never say never. 
18. If you had to describe your style of play by picking a professional footballer, who would you pick?

Growing up at Crewe I always watched and tried to play like Dean Ashton; he was such a good striker.
19. Greatest achievement in football?

Winning the league with Atherton Colls.
20. Biggest disappointment in football?

Covid stopping football while being 27-28 years old! 
21. Who are you nominating for the next 21 Qs with?

Jack dorney - bet he’s got some stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.