Friday 3 September 2021

21 Questions With... Alfie Belcher

Name: Alfie Belcher
Age: 21
Trafford Appearances: 5
Trafford Goals: 1


Alfie Belcher signed for Trafford during the pre-season of the 2021-22 season where he has impressed from the get go with his attacking play and tenacious attitude. After only 5 games in, he is proving a fans favourite and was nominated for player of the month for August. 

1. First of all, welcome to the club - you seem to have settled in pretty well so far. How's it going personally for yourself?

Personally I’ve loved every minute of being at Trafford. From the first minute of pre season up until now; it has been a really enjoyable experience and I hope it continues! 

2.  Although you did miss the first game because you were away on holiday; how did that go down? Have you been fined by Coops?

I have been fined by Coops, however I don't mind the fines as it all goes to a good cause. I do go away again in September though which hasn’t gone down very well!

3. You're going away again!!! Not another holiday surely? They'll have to start calling you Michael Palin (you're probably too young to know who he is)... Do you have any nicknames though?

I know, I know - I shouldn’t be going away again but it was booked before I knew DC and Gibbo wanted me to come down. As for the nickname part, I don’t have any.

4. We don't know too much about you prior to your arrival - what's your background football wise - previous clubs etc?

Previously I have played for Prestwich Heys when I was 17 then from aged 18 until 20, I played in America at a university over there. Then when I returned, I came back to Prestwich. Then DC got into contact and I’ve been at Trafford ever since! 

5. What were your opinions of Trafford before you joined?

I knew very little about Trafford before I came. I did ask a previous manger about his opinions on the club and DC and he had nothing but praise about both!

6. ... And your opinions now?

My opinions have only changed for the better. The people around the club are all lovely and the pitch is the best I’ve played on! 

7. You're not the only new face this season, considering there have been a few newbies, what's the dressing room been like in terms of togetherness/spirit?

The dressing room is great and it has been very easy to fit in. You have your big characters like Max and Kiel but there’s no one that hasn’t been a great addition to the team.

8. That togetherness seems to have helped with a fairly positive start to the season - how would you describe our start, especially with all the injuries?

Our start to the season has been good, our pre season was focused on being a resilient team, always believing and playing good football. I think we’ve shown all of these in the start of the season. Injuries come and go but we can only play with who is available.

9. What would you say is your best footballing attribute?

My best footballing attribute is probably my decision making - as Jack Dorney always comments on. However, I will never give up which I think is important!

10. You've already managed to bag yourself a supporters chant - how does that make you feel? 

The supporters chant makes me smile, it’s the first time I’ve had something like this so I don’t really know how to take it. But the fans at Trafford really are top class... home and away!

11. You mentioned the support, both home and away; without blowing our own trumpet, I do think we have top vocal support - how much does that impact on you as players?

The support is great. Home and away we hear you all over and there’s nothing like it. The impact it gives us is great; if we’re struggling and we hear the fans, it gives us that extra kick to remind us to give everything we have. 

12. You scored your first league goal for the club in the win against Bootle (2-3); first of all his important was getting our first under our belt?

Well the first one of the season is always the most important; it sets the tempo for the season and it really kickstarted us. 

13.  And how special was it to score the winner after Bootle pulled us back to 2-2 when we were 2 nil up?

To score the winner against for the first win of the season was amazing! I’d scored a few in pre season but they don’t count as people were reminding me, so I knew I had to get on the scoresheet ASAP! Hopefully there are many more to come. 

14. You were nominated for POTM for August, narrowly missing out - do things like that matter to you as a player or is it all about the team performance?

Player of the month would’ve been nice in my first month at Trafford. However, I don’t think I deserved to even be nominated. I think Astley was unfairly overlooked but Neildy has been solid and I’m glad he’s won. But if I were to choose between individual awards and team awards it would definitely be team awards. Nothing would compare to accomplishing something with the group we have. 

15. What are your ambitions for the season - both individually and as a team?

Ambitions for my season are to constantly play well; I want to be the first name on the team sheet every game. 
The team takes one game at a time, we know we have the quality to go challenge at the top of the table. However, you can only beat the team that’s in front of you, so we try to focus on the next game only.

16. Who's the best and worst trainer at the club?

Best trainer is either Neildy or Morgs - they always want to win. Worst trainer is probably Ollie Ford as he’s never there! #injuryprone 

17.  Have you all managed a players night out yet - who has the worst moves?

We have been on one night out and I can definitely tell you that Rooney has the worst moves! #bowler 

18. And who has the worst dress sense?

I don’t really know who the worst dressed is... but Mike Burke has just bought some rascal boots!

19. You mentioned earlier that you played over in America; what was that like as an experience and what was the level of football like compared to Trafford?

Well in America the weather was a lot warmer, which I miss - the experience is one I won’t ever forget. The level of football is different, a bit more technical but not as physical. 

20. Have all the new lads had to do an initiation yet or are they all being saved for the first away coach trip?

The initiations haven't happened yet but I cannot wait for mine. They’ll regret giving me the microphone as they’ll struggle to get it off me!

21. And last but not least, who are you nominating for the next edition of 21 Questions With...?

For the next round I would like to nominate is Mike Burke.


Cheers Alfie, a superb lad and already a fans favourite. Good luck for Saturday where we'll be singing our heads off for the team! - Glinks

'Belcher na na nana na na... Belcher na na na naaa... Belcher strikes again!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.