Friday 10 April 2020

21 Questions With... Cappy

Since it's been nearly 7 weeks now waiting for Matt Brown to fulfill his 21 Questions duties, we've had to ask someone else to step up; who better than long-time Trafford FC supporter, Mike Capp aka Cappy aka we've got our Cappy back...

Favourite game:

Beating Altrincham in the FA Cup was special, it's a shame it wasn't a later round. However the play off semi final at New Mills on a scorching hot day is my favourite. I organised a 16 seater minibus, instructing the driver to go via Marple to avoid Lyme Park.  The team coach got stuck in the queues, the delayed kick off meant a longer session outside the pubs in New Mills. We sympathised with the fans stuck on the coach and didn't take the piss at all. Trafford were brilliant backed by fantastic support, but we needed extra time to get the job done, we wrapped it up in injury time 2-0 through Michael Oates. Cue memorable scenes.

Best moment:

'super sub' Deon Depiaza's goal at Salford City the year we won the Counties. Salford second, Trafford top. Deon went clear through to make it 2-0, and put us 10 points clear. In those heady celebrations I realised Trafford now meant more to me than City.

Worst moment:

I love the FA competitions, so whenever we go out with a whimper. Sheffield away FA Trophy, Bishop Auckland away FA Cup, but the worst was Fylde in the Trophy at home under Vaughnie.  When their 5th goal went in I left for home, the first and only time I have left a game early.

Most dangerous moment:

Has to be South Shields at home, recognising that their fans were going to invade the pitch mid game. Hundreds of fans baying for blood, just me and then Paul F. on the side of the pitch trying to calm them down.

Funniest moment:

Not so much funny but bizarre. On the pitch at Cammell Laird after winning the play off final, the first person who I saw was Vaughnie. We embraced passionately😉, and greeted each other in perfect unison with 'We've only gone and fucking done it'. Spooky. 

Genuine funniest moment has to be the Colne penalty shoot out. It was a minibus trip, a good boozy day was had by all. They were collecting for a young fan in hospital and after the game I had the idea that we could have a penalty each at a fiver a pop. Their keeper came out of the dressing room to face our pens. I buried mine, bottom corner. Glinka scored. Someone cleared the (not small) stand. Then came Gaz Gardner's penalty. He scuffed it 3 yards much to the amusement of the compere. He was given a second chance, as his shot trickled to the line the keeper dived over it. Of our 15 or so penalties I think only 3 were on target...
Priceless

Favourite fan:

Special mention to Matt Brown who groomed me all those years ago, and as a bigger piss can than me puts me in a slightly better light with my missus. Through watching Trafford I have made friends with 3 of the nicest, selfless guys you could wish to meet. Malcy 'Rock n Roll', Paul Faulkner, and Sempy. I still miss him.

Worst Fan:

The dirty so and so who shit himself and left an indescribable mess in the club house toilet (before we had the cubicle fitted). Being the good Samaritan I am, I cleaned it up. I still have nightmares.

Favourite player:

Past is Tom Read. Present is Darbo if he is still a Trafford player?

Why:

(Tom) was a top keeper and a gentleman. His save at Halesowen is the best save I have ever seen.

Least favourite player:

Matt Mahoney. On his debut (I think), in an FA Cup tie at Ashton United he agave away a penalty. 5 mins later he went through the player who won / scored the penalty, a dreadful 'challenge' that rightly earned him a red card and effectively lost us the game. Never seen since.

Best goal:

Darius last minute winner at Marine this season (is it still this season or last season I'm confused!). A brilliant curling shot in the top corner. Better than sex.

Best song:

Allez, Allez, Allez in its pomp. 'Trafford FC' when everyone joins in especially after a goal gives me goose-bumps.

Worst song:

Looking back, how we sung Troy Hayder is the new Pele (to the Wayne Rooney song), without irony I do not know.

Best ground:

Going up to the Prem was everything I hoped it would be. Loved going to Whitby, Stamford, Kings Lynn etc. But my favourite is Stourbridge. Great pub crawl, decent old ground and friendly opposition fans.

Worst ground:

A few in the Counties I could mention, but it's not really fair, its bloody hard to keep standards up when you get crowds of less than a hundred. So has to be Widnes. Soul-less ground, not even any good pubs nearby. It's everything non league shouldn't be.

Most hated team:

Flixton. The only time I've nearly been in a punch up was in their club house. Of the current teams, Colwyn Bay haven't endeared themselves to us, but I only really hate Skem. Horrible whinging scousers, not to mention the little shits who spat on our flag.

Hope for:

To continue the legacy. Its amazing how many teams we have played have gone to the wall (especially poignant in these times).

Best fans:

Honestly, ours take some beating. Of our peers, Colne are a good bunch.

Future long term plans for Trafford:

Would love a new club house. It's the only thing that lets Trafford down.

Pre-match routine:

Varies. Ideally a pint first, though this is not always possible!

Pre-match meal/drink:

Cooked brekky at home and load up with coffee. Hopefully a Becks in the club....

Nominate next:

Matt Brown get your finger out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.